On 2014-02-27 04:43, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
Question for the cloud folks:

I realize that XFS is a difficult pill to swallow for /boot, due to
your use of syslinux instead of GRUB2. If the Server and Workstation
groups decide to settle on both using XFS-on-LVM for the main
partitions, we could *probably* also compromise on using ext4 for just
/boot.

The cloud image is a little interesting because it technically needs to work with *two* bootloaders: whatever the image ships with, plus PV-GRUB for booting in EC2. The latter is the reason it doesn't ship with a separate /boot filesystem at all -- until recently EC2's PV-GRUB code could only boot using the first partition on the disk or a filesystem that covers the entire disk. The latest version looks for a grub1 config file on each of the first four partitions, so the only major limitation now is its breadth of filesystem support, which amounts to "not btrfs." So as far as making things run on EC2 is concerned, both a separate /boot filesystem and either XFS or ext4 should be fine now.

The cloud image also attempts to resize itself to match the size of the disk it finds itself booting from, so if we want to keep that functionality it will probably need to include the code and tools necessary for resizing / with whatever filesystem/partitioning/LVM scheme it ends up. Using LVM would complicate that, but perhaps someone has already done the work to make it happen.

--
Garrett Holmstrom