On 26 March 2014 10:29, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Deepak Bhole <dbh...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > * Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> [2014-03-25 19:59]:
> >> I also would like to see 1.7.0 stick around for awhile. Not
> >> necessarily as the default, but at least available in the repos. As it
> >> stands, it's difficult to use a modern Fedora on projects that are
> >> still developing against JDK 1.6.
> >>

> > Unfortunately, OpenJDK7 will be EOLd in April 2015[1], which is within
> > the support time-frame of the F21. This is one the reasons why we would
> > like to be able to switch over to OpenJDK8 asap for F21.
> >
> > 1: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> I don't see how Oracle tentatively dropping long-term public support
> for 7 means that Fedora needs can no longer provide OpenJDK7 in its
> repos (not as default, of course), with or without additional updates,
> for developers who want to use a modern Fedora, but need to develop
> for applications/hardware that requires strict 7 compatibility.

The problem is that some organization needs to come up and say they are
going to do security support for JDK7 after it is EOL from Oracle. It is
not like Java has a stellar security history where it can sit out for a
long time without someone putting in fixes. If such a group does come
forward then some sort of compat could be handled. Otherwise it is going to
be a large liability for any distribution to bundle the code.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.