On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 16:02 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> We'd like to update to Mesa 10.1 in Fedora 20, since the cycle is so
> long before F21 and (among other goodies) it enables OpenGL 3.3 on some
> newer Radeons.  This implies rebasing LLVM 3.4, and that's where it gets
> a little awkward: the OpenGTL package only works up to LLVM 3.3.
>
> However, OpenGTL is dead upstream, and the only thing requiring it in
> F20 gold - calligra-krita, by way of libQtGTL - has already been updated
> to Obsolete OpenGTL.  As far as I know OpenGTL is the only such package
> we have requiring LLVM 3.3, so the rest of the rebase should just be a
> matter of updating to match F21.
>
> The following source packages will also be updated for the llvm rebase:
>
> dragonegg
> gambas3
> pocl
> pure
> python-llvmpy
>
> If there are no serious objections I'll try to get this all into testing
> early next week.  If you _do_ happen to be using OpenGTL for something
> in F20, now would be an excellent time for you to start working on
> porting it to current LLVM.

I can absolutely see the reasons for doing this, but...can it at least
go through a fesco rubber stamp? Let's face it, entirely deprecating a
library we shipped as part of the gold release seems to be a pretty
flagrant violation of the update policy, and really ought to be granted
a formal exception at the very least if it's going to go ahead.

"As a result, we should avoid major updates of packages within a stable
release. Updates should aim to fix bugs, and not introduce features,
particularly when those features would materially affect the user or
developer experience."
"ABI changes in general are very strongly discouraged"

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Stable_Releases

Fedora *is* a platform, not just a set of packages, however half-assedly
we conform to that vision, so I guess I just feel a bit uncomfortable
not at least putting up a few hoops for this to jump through. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey