On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 18:56 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote, on behalf of Matthias Clasen:
> > The Software Collections repositories will be enabled by default.
>
> So we now allow shipping the configuration for third-party repositories,
> even enabled by default? Is April 1st still not over yet?
>
> If you want those packages in Fedora, they need to get into the Fedora
> repository.

THREAD NECRO ALERT

I wouldn't put it as strongly as Kevin, but I do have some concerns
about the implications here. Notably,
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/docs/licensing/ states:

"We do not review source or packages for suitability of purpose,
quality, or licensing"

Fedora provides rather stronger guarantees on that front in our
'official' repositories. It seems like SCL has more or less the same
policies and intents as Fedora, but is explicitly less proactive about
'policing' them. It therefore seems like this feature increases the risk
to Fedora as a whole of 'blessing' badly broken or incorrectly licensed
software.

It would be nice to emphasize the distinction between software from the
Fedora repositories and software from the SCL project, at least. yum and
dnf do this to at least a limited extent already (you can see what repo
a package is coming from, when you install it), but have we considered
whether that's sufficient, and if it would be worthwhile to try and
improve on it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey