On 8 October 2014 12:35, Miloslav Trmač <m...@redhat.com> wrote:

Been away for a week and come back to this nonsense. Why put so much
effort into arguing *against* having the right interpreter listed at
the top of a script. Seems pretty perverse to insist it should be
/bin/sh to maintain a conflation that's unique to RH.

Fedora is upstream for packaging and remixes. I tried to illustrate
that, but you've cut it from the quotes.

>> > Perhaps for changing the #! line; adding yet another programming language
>> > to the OS would make it more complex and thus _reduce_ transparency.
>>
>> Not another programming language, one that is already being used.
>
> If they have so different features and syntax that people writing scripts
> need to be aware of this, they are different languages.  Or to put it the
> other way, if they were the same languages then assumption that /bin/sh is
> bash couldn’t matter.

And they're not the same, which is what the whole discussion about, so
it does matter.

>> > No, but most compiler warnings are useful _for increasing quality
>> > noticeable to users of Fedora_.  A warning about use of a bash construct
>> > when we are using bash doesn’t help us help users.
>>
>> Getting dependencies right isn't helpful?
>
> That’s what I said, and I think I said why.  If you think that changing
> dependencies, when it would change neither behavior nor on-disk contents is
> helpful, could you explain how?

Because they're the true dependencies.
Anyway I'm off to change gcc to a link to g++ on my systems because
they're close enough it shouldn't matter.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk