On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 07:24:07AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> zbyszek wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > Clarification: this change did not touch this part of the policy: that
> > definition got copied over from the guidelines [1]. [...]
>
> (The previous wording said a package that "...does not listen on a
> network socket..." can be enabled by default, which was a broader
> restriction and thus more secure.)
Hm, you're right. I can't say for certain why sgallagh made that rewording,
but I think it was intended as a clarification, not a change.

> > Nevertheless, you raise an interesting question in general.  The way
> > I understand the motivation for the restriction is to avoid any
> > chance of attack or unexpected access over the network.  [...]
>
> OK, so the question is - are we (still) trying to preclude -local-
> escalation-of-privileges type problems?  If not, then many more
> services can be enabled by default - as long as they bind only to
> unix-domain sockets and/or localhost.  (I guess we're not supposed to
> count on the default firewalls?)
Yes, that's the way I understand it too. The distinction between local
and remote is that remote attacks are in general more likely and thus dangerous.
This is a good assumption - I'm sure that on most installations of Fedora
there's just one or a few trusted users, and they outnumber installations
with a large list of potentially rogue accounts. So it makes sense
to treat remotely-accessible services more carefully. Nevertheless,
even though those rules don't spell this out, it would be considered a
serious bug if a package allowed unexpected privilege escalation by
the mere fact of being installed, be it through a local network
socket, a unix socket, setuid binary, or any other mechanism. I think
this is an implicit shared understanding. Coming back to network
services: even though packagers don't expect a service to allow
unexpected privilege escalation, the base of attackers is bigger in
case of remote services, so those rules disallow running by default as
an additional safety precaution.

Zbyszek