Am 07.11.2015 um 16:01 schrieb Felix Miata:
Kevin Kofler composed on 2015-11-07 14:05 (UTC+0100):

Reindl Harald wrote:

come on and don't tell me 99% of i686 users have machines older than 10
years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 because "ntel introduced SSE3
in early 2004 with the Prescott revision of their Pentium 4 CPU"

Any demarcation that is calendar based is purely arbitrary. 64 bit was
introduced far more than 10 years ago. There is plenty of 32 bit hardware
perfectly capable of doing what needs doing regardless of age. Not everyone
needs, or wants, the bloat that newer enables. Not everyone is "speed"
sensitive, while most are sensitive to the security that keeping current
provides

and these are the Fedora relevant users?

that machines are fare better served with CentOS (now there is even a i686 one while RHEL7 does not exist of 32bit) instead bleeding edge while i don't see a compelling reason that a bleeding edge distribution in 2015 ignores SSE3 while in the meantime SSE4.2/AVX/AVX2 where introduced for a handful of users

"I have approximately 40 Fedora installations on 32 bit CPUs" by one real computer and put them all inside virtual machines on top of it - problem solved - the power savings alone wil pay it!

our new DL380 has two Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz, 128 GB RAM, runs the whole company 8 with a second node for failover) and consumes 115W power (average over 24 hours)