On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Lukas Zapletal <l...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to have livenet / nbd plugins to be present on the initram
> disk of Fedora Workstation Live DVD, but I struggle to find a place
> where to send a patch. Can you help me where should I file this? Must be
> some dracut script that builds those, or is this the official kernel
> that ships with Fedora system?

All Fedora Editions use the official kernel and the nbd driver is
already built.  You likely want to contact the Workstation WG on the
desktop to see about getting the dracut modules included, though you
might simply request it to be included in all of them.  I don't see
why you wouldn't want similar functionality for Server.

> These modules are small, but it will offer possibility to boot Fedora
> Live via PXE from network (HTTP, FTP or NBD). It has few dependencies
> (nbd-client, curl) but those are tiny and I assume curl is already in
> the minimal installation anyway.
>
> Use case: A neighbour shows up with a broken Windows laptop without a
> CD/DVD drive apparently and I have no USB stick with up-to-date Fedora
> Live image handy. With my proposal implemented, I can offer connecting
> to my network, booting up Fedora and to try things out. In dozens of
> minutes, new happy Fedora user walks out of my doors :-)
>
> I would like to carry on with a change to livecd-tools providing helper
> script livecd-to-pxe-livenet and livecd-to-pxe-nbd to help with creating
> those configurations.

I think rel-eng is changing the tooling it uses to create the live
images.  You might want to review this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LivemediaCreator

> If this turns to be a bad idea, then I will design the helper scripts to
> generate the kernel/image from a running system, but then users need to
> run compatible distro to successfully generate it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "generate the kernel" here.

josh