Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:
> You *have* to use the local DNS servers by default, even if they are
> crap.

I for one want my laptop to be suspicious of random DNS servers it
encounters in public places, and bypass them if they're found to be
lying.

I also want to be able to make an exception in case I'm visiting a
misconfigured network and really need to access some internal server.

It seems to me that the system needs to ask the user whether they are
in a public hotspot that they're using only as a way to access the
Internet, or whether they're visiting a friend and want to access
internal servers. I don't see a way to tell the difference reliably
without any user interaction.

> The idea of forwarding DNS queries to Fedora servers sounds completely
> non-sensical to me... Given the port numbers I assume that's even
> HTTP?

The port numbers are obviously chosen to get through overzealous
firewalls. All too often everything except TCP port 443 is blocked or
tampered with. It is certainly far from ideal, which is why it's right
to do it only as a last resort when all other ways are blocked.

Björn Persson