On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:58 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii-fed...@apache.org> wrote:
> rpm could track more than hashes of config files, and instead track the full
> file. This could be optional, as it uses more disk space, but disk space is
> cheap these days, and config files are relatively small. This would avoid
> having to re-download the rpm, and would make it easier to see what has been
> modified on their system. So, some users may find that a worthwhile
> trade-off.

I rather like this idea.

My laptop has 35MB of /etc contents.  My laptop has 240M of conffiles.
I suspect it has rather less that that in stock conffiles (the
majority is the RPM DB itself, and most of that is presumably shipped
empty).

Doing this might add a considerable incentive for packages to fix the
fact that they have large conffiles.  For example:

106M    /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive

excuse me?

80K    /usr/share/ghostscript/9.16/Resource/Init/gs_init.ps

not that big, but that has to be a bug.

Buggy things aside, we really should move to a model in which pretty
much everything lives in /usr/share and /etc is just overrides.  For
example:

56K    /etc/mime.types
58K    /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
60K    /etc/mono/2.0/DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx
60K    /etc/mono/4.0/DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx
60K    /etc/mono/4.5/DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx
64K    /etc/pki/nssdb/cert8.db
70K    /etc/jwhois.conf
81K    /etc/lvm/lvm.conf

For the few cases that can't or won't comply, then having rpm
(optionally?) make the originals available would be fantastic for
system management.

--Andy