On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 21:07 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:38:35 +0100
> > Björn Persson <bj...@xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> > > Without commit access to Git the attacker couldn't edit the sources
> > > file, so – assuming that everything that uses the lookaside cache
> > > bothers to verify the checksum – the attacker would have to forge a
> > > tarball that has the same MD5 hash as the original. That is an
> > > attack on the second-preimage resistance of MD5.
> >
> > I don't think even that would work, as you cannot upload new sources
> > with the same md5sum as an existing upload. It would just tell you
> > it's already uploaded.
>
> OK, that reduces the attack window as the attacker would have to upload
> the malicious tarball after a release has been made upstream but before
> the maintainer gets around to upgrading the package.

And the maintainer would have to not notice that an updated tarball had
already been uploaded. Which is *possible*, because lord knows, we've
all forgotten to run fedpkg new-sources and seen our builds fail and
gone 'oh god, yeah, I forgot to run fedpkg new-sources'. But it's
another thing that has to happen for the attack to succeed, at least.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey