On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 15.01.2016 um 00:36 schrieb Andrew Lutomirski:
>>
>> If, for example, it simply installed into
>> /lib/modules/VERSION/akmod/path/to/driver.ko, then rpm could be taught
>> to delete /lib/modules/VERSION when the corresponding kernel package
>> goes away (either using a scriptlet in the kernel package or an RPM
>> trigger, I imagine), and everything would work nicely without
>> injecting extra rpms into the system
>

> rpm's remove files and folders they installed
>
> if that folders are not empty because foreign files that files and the
> folders will stay afetr remove - there is no "but" - it is unacceptable when
> a package purges a whole folder due removal because you can't know what and
> why the user stored there
>
> any package doing such craft would need to be fixed
> so don't propose any package should start such black magic

I'll ask again: can you please think just a little bit before
arbitrarily objecting to things people suggest on this list?

Suppose that the removal of kernel-core-4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64
automatically deleted everything in
/lib/modules/4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64/akmods.  What, if anything, would
go wrong?  I'm serious.  That folder would exist for the /specific
purpose/ of being unlinked when the matching kernel goes away.  This
would be safe because (a) the contents are useless if the kernel isn't
there and (b) the contents can be autogenerated (by a hypothetical
better akmods or similar tool) if the kernel got reinstalled.

--Andy