On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 09:42:11AM +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Ping IPv6 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/PingIpv6#Ping_IPv6
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Jan Synacek, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav AT redhat DOT com>
>
> ping should be able to work with IPv6 and IPv4 addresses, eliminating
> the need for multiple tools.
>
> == Detailed Description ==
> The current system of using different software (ping vs ping6) for
> different versions of the IP stack is broken. As the IPv6 transition
> moves ahead its unreasonable to expect users to know in advance the IP
> version of a peer referenced using a DNS name, nor expect them to
> switch tools based on the types of IPs they are testing.
>
> ping must work with both protocol versions by default.
>
> == Scope ==
> Proposal owners:
> * The ping tool should be able to test any address provided on command
> line, being IPv6 or IPv4. That means that the ping tool from iputils
> as we include it in Fedora needs to be modified.

Are you intending to make this change to tracepath as well, or only
ping?

IMHO, it doesn't make sense to fix ping and leave tracepath alone,
especially considering that they're in the same package.

I was also wondering about traceroute/traceroute6 but some testing shows
that "traceroute [ipv6 address]" already works out of the box.  It might
be a good idea to make a note of that in your Change page for others
that might not be aware of that.