On 01/26/2016 09:47 AM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
I still think that, for the default workstation use case, configuring
a hostname as a mandatory part of installation is counterproductive.
Would it make sense to improve support for hostname-less workstations?
  NetworkManager could take hostname=="localhost" or
"localhost.localdomain" to mean that DDNS should be turned off and the
client ID should be "MAC<digits>" instead of "localhost".Would it make
sense to teach NetworkManager to skip sending the client ID (or send
some compatibility value) instead of "localhost"?

It's not mandatory for installation. If your IP address resolves, it uses whatever hostname is returned. If not, it stays at localhost. You can manually modify that of course, but you aren't required to. This works perfectly for me deploying computers with freeipa. I set up the DHCP server, the installer picks up the right name and freeipa configures correctly.