On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:03:08 +0000
Jamie Nguyen <j...@jamielinux.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Distributions like RHEL and Debian have a very strict update policy
> (for good reason). People expect stability and don't want surprises.
>
> When CVEs arise, patches can often be backported. Nginx 1.8.1 recently
> fixed three CVEs and I've backported to Nginx 1.6.x on EL7.
>
> Unfortunately, Nginx 1.0.x on EL6 is too old; I gave it a good shot
> but backporting the patches reliably without creating new CVEs is
> beyond my expertise. Nginx 0.8.x on EL5 is prehistoric.
>
> I've had a couple of bug reports recently suggesting that I rebase
> Nginx to 1.8.1 on all branches. On the one hand, I want to avoid
> causing surprises and breaking somebody's website. On the other hand,
> these vulnerabilities do need to be fixed. (The approach I took with
> the Tor package is to always use the latest stable release on all
> branches, which is working well.)
>
> What do people think? Should I go ahead and update all branches (with
> appropriate migration notes)?

Well, this kind of question would probibly be better on the epel-devel
list, but otherwise:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_Updates_Policy

And you can ask for an exception. This would entail pushing the new
version to testing and leaving it there a while, mailing epel-announce
to note that there's an incompatible version in testing and please test
and then another note before you push it stable to give them a heads
up. You may want to wait and push it stable at the same time as the
next .X release comes out.

kevin