On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:37 AM, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/08/2016 08:27 AM, Jan Kurik wrote:
>> = Proposed Self Contained Change: System Python =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/System_Python
>
> Is this intended to mirror Debian's python-minimal?
>
> What steps have been taken to accommodate Python upstream's wishes
> against creating subsets of the standard distribution?  If I recall
> correctly, this was a major point of discussion when Debian introduced
> python-minimal.

This sounds like a really bad idea. How do we know what to expect is
provided in a given Python package? We don't currently have anything
that creates package-independent virtual Provides/Requires of Python
modules that would cover the scope necessary to make this more
effective.

Technically, there is one for independent Python module packages
coming in RPM upstream that is currently disabled by default (in fact,
I've got a pull request to improve it based on feedback from the
Python SIG as well as Mageia[1]), but I don't think that is currently
designed to handle the kind of complexity this is going to introduce.

How in the world would we handle such a dramatic departure from how we
currently package Python?

[1]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/50