On 13-03-08 09:51 PM, Steven Blatnick wrote:
Thrawn, Guess what I've been working on :-)

I've got a nearly complete plugin I call "quick-opener" written in C.  I hope
you like it.
I'm not terribly knowledgeable at build files, so if anyone wants to help me
figure out how to add it to the autogen.sh and make process for geany-plugins,
that would be great.  Let me know what I have to do.

Here is the code:
https://github.com/sblatnick/geany-plugins/tree/9ce0a19b39e90ae107621606aa37ffa8cc8dec44/quick-opener

Can you explain what it does? It kind of sounds like one of the things the "Commander" plugin does, but I can't tell having not tested it yet. Looking back as far as Thunderbird takes me on this thread, it's not clear on the term "Snap Open" that the OP used.

The make script just does the minimum to get it working.  You run it with
./make (it's a bash script).

Having looked briefly at your coding skills, I can assure you that it's fully within your grasp to understand how "proper" GNU Make files go, it's just a little weird at first. I don't mean to say you should understand the full Geany-Plugins build system(s), but I mean in general you shouldn't have any problem writing a basic Make file. For example:

    quick-opener.so: quick-opener.o
        $(CC) -o $@ $^ `pkg-config --libs geany`

    quick-opener.o: quick-opener.c
        $(CC) -c -fPIC `pkg-config --cflags geany` -o $@ $<

    install:
        cp quick-opener.so ~/.config/geany/plugins/

    clean:
        rm -f *.o *.so

Not that it matters, I just say for your own interest because I remember writing such a shell script as you have made before, not realizing how simple a basic Make file could be.

When I say nearly complete, I mean that you can't configure the plugin yet with
directories/files to exclude.  It already excludes hidden directories, certain
binary extensions, and starts at the project's working directory.

I haven't made a pull request yet because I don't have the packaging stuff done
(documentation, build stuff I need help with).

Come ask on IRC or here on devel-list with questions. If you can write reasonable C code, then the rest is just crusty old m4 nonsense. I think everyone has problems groking Autotools and/or Waf, at least at first.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush