On 13-10-24 02:51 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
On 25 October 2013 04:04, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:22:34 +1100
Lex Trotman <ele...@gmail.com> wrote:

Unfortunately there is an accessor document_index() in the plugin
interface
that uses the index into the array.

Switching to a list means that there needs to be a change everywhere in
Geany and the plugins that the array index is used instead of a pointer.
don't see anywhere where the index is used inside Geany but I may have
missed somewhere.  I don't know how often its used by plugins.  But again
its use could be deprecated and a temporary map (eg g_tree) from an int
the pointer could be used until plugins are modified.

 From what I see, document_index() is used in the plugins:

- inside foreach_document(i), which makes zero sense
- in a similar loop in codenav, where the number of documents is
   copied in a local variable, without an obvious reason, and there
   is no is_valid check
- in geanypy, to implement a Python document_index() function.

Thanks.

That being said, just how is a list better than a GPtrArray?

True, its the fact that the index is held constant because it might be
stored and re-used that stops the array from being shrunk.  Getting rid of
the use of indexes is the necessary pre-condition for shrinking the array,
or using a list or whatever.

We could use GHashTable as a Set to contain the documents internally afterwards. It doesn't make much sense to have a particular document instantiated more than once anyway and the only order we care about for documents here is maybe the order/time they were opened, which is better solved with a "open timestamp" or something, IMO.

My two cents

Cheers,
Matthew Brush