On 13-11-12 09:47 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
Am 11.11.2013 10:31, schrieb Matthew Brush:
The other way we could go is to just strive to be a proper, modern GTK+
application. By this I mean using stuff like GtkApplication,
GtkApplicationWindow, GSettings, etc. The GTK+ stack has lots of cool
stuff to make doing applications easier/better that we don't use because
of the ever-present restriction about needing to be able to support LTS
distros with old GTK2 and not wanting to "GObjectify" and/or make large
changes to the code.

As mentioned in another mail already, we got a lot of users requesting
to still support Gtk2 as they don't want to change to some Gtk3-based
desktop. These users will decrease with time for sure and once Xfce 4.12
is ready for Gtk3 hopefully will disappear, but currently it looks a bit
like this will be happen when GNU/Hurd final is released.  Until this
eternity, we need to find a way for users not using Gtk3 in favor of
Gtk2 -- even I know it's a pain in the back.

It would be a less painful if we could at least use the current/last supported GTK+2 version at least (2.24-ish). Supporting back some half a decade of GTK+2 versions when already the most recent version is deprecated/dead and shouldn't really be used for any new code is kind of crazy.

I'm curious if you asked the users complaining about not wanting to "switch to a Gtk3-based desktop" whether they actually have libgtk3 installed anyway? For example I use XFCE 4.10, which isn't technically a Gtk3-based desktop environment, and I'm happily using Gtk2 and 3 apps side-by-side without any issues. Is it possible the users were just expressing more GNOME-hate and directing it GTK3 instead or you think they really are using super old desktop environments before Gtk3 started being widely distributed?

Cheers,
Matthew Brush