On 13-12-15 11:01 PM, Steven Blatnick wrote:
I agree on scintilla being better.

I don't know if this is because of gtksourceview or not, but loading large
files or files with long lines freezes up gedit2/pluma, which uses
gtksourceview.  I used to prefer gtksourceview, but I think I prefer scintilla
more now.

My experience is exactly the opposite (not with Gedit though). GSV works incrementally while pumping the GUI loop, Scintilla completely blocks it.

I could have just lacked experience, but navigating the code to add background
color or select regions didn't seem as easy with gtksourceview.  Their
iterators, marks, and other anchor/location-types seemed to be unintuitively
mixed and would become stale data quickly without even the text changing.

My experience is exactly opposite. GSV feels natural in GTK+ since most of its API is directly inherited from the existing GtkTextView widget and the rest of its API is very idiomatic. Scintilla's GTK+ backend, without going into a huge rant, has quite possibly the worst, most foreign API to ever be unleashed on the world.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush