On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 at 04:55, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troe...@uvena.de> wrote:

> Hi Rubén,
>

> > My name is Rubén. I'm a master's degree student at UDC and I've been using
> > Geany and loving it for years. Finally I've subscribed to developer mailing
> > list with the goals of:
> >

> >   *   Dive into the Geany project.
> >   *   Contribute by solving some bugs (listed) or adding features requested
> > in the wishlist. Python code autocompletion sounds good to me - but maybe
> > that goes a bit off my hands
> >   *   Get short info about the overall code architecture of the project.
> > I've already been digging into the core source, but I'd love to hear
> > something from real authors (plugins are also interesting to me).
> >   *   In general, get myself an idea of how the code of the project is
> > organised, whether there are some interesting patterns... And become an
> > active member of the community!
>
> great to hear you want to join the development and help on improving
> Geany! Thanks.
>
> You probably already found https://www.geany.org/Support/Bugs. I guess
> the issue list on Github is the best source to find a start into
> development. Just try to pick a bug report or feature which sounds
> interesting to you and just have a go.

But do note that not every feature requested on github is sensible,
and not every bug report is a bug, check the labels, those with "bug"
or "enhancement" have at least been looked at by someone in Geany and
identified as possibly useful.

> In case of any questions, don't hesitate to ask here on the list and/or
> in the IRC channel on Freenode.

Do make a note on github that you are working on a particular issue,
and for enhancements what you are going to do, so nobody else will
waste time trying to do it as well, and might even cooperate on it.

> JFTR, the wishlist on https://www.geany.org/Support/PluginWishlist is
> not up to date any more, nobody maintains it. There might be features
> already implemented, some features probably never to be implemented and
> of course also ideas which you might want to follow.
>

> Regarding the code architecture, I'd say you can find DOs and DONTs next
> to each other :). The code evolved over years from a not so good start
> (in terms of software architecture and design) to what we have today.
> Overall I think the code is in pretty good shape but can be further
> optimised of course :).
>

> Have fun and welcome to Geany,
> Enrico

Finally, do please be patient after posting a pull request, the
developers are doing this in their own time so there may be delays in
reviewing and committing.

Cheers
Lex