On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:49, Austin Green <austin.gr...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi Scintilla experts,
>
> I want to insert text at the caret position when the caret is in virtual
> space, i.e. off the end of the line.  Have tried
>         SCI_REPLACESEL
>         SCI_INSERTTEXT
> and sundry ways of trying to find the amount of virtual space.  The problem
> with the latter is that there has to be a non-empty selection, and I can't
> make a selection without a position value.  Of course Scintilla does it
> properly if a physical key is pressed, but darned if I can find a way to do
> it programmatically.

There is no way of inserting anything without characters (eg
whitespace) before it, so you have to insert appropriate spacing to
position whatever you want to place.

Scintilla itself can convert a screen position to a character
position, so typing can be located by scintilla, but thats not
possible programmatically, all programmatic interfaces are by
character.

Cheers
Lex