Well, whaddaya know?  I cloned a recent version of geany, and found that
someone has already implemented a very similar Geany signal, called
"key-press".  It was needed for the 'vimode' plugin, and at present that's the
only one that uses it.  It differs from my proposal in that it can return TRUE
to inhibit further processing, which means that 'vimode' can deprive Geany and
other plugins of certain keystrokes. It works OK for 'keyrecord', at least
without 'vimode' loaded.  I guess I should probably use it for now, though it
may break in the future, and may not work properly if 'vimode' is loaded at the
same time as 'keyrecord'.

Cheers,
Austin.