Hello Lex,

thx for your quick reply.

> Am 29.06.2023 um 02:02 schrieb Lex Trotman via Devel <devel@lists.geany.org>:
>
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 at 07:58, Andreas Schöller via Devel
> <devel@lists.geany.org <mailto:devel@lists.geany.org>> wrote:
>
> Perhaps you should have checked, Lexilla already has a Nim lexer.  It
> hasn't had a substantive change in 4 years, so either its really good,
> or nobody is maintaining it.  But you can add a language to Geany that
> only has a lexer, IIRC there are several.  Of course that doesn't
> solve symbols.

I even found two Nim-parsers at the Lexilla-repo. I have added a issue-3520 to
the Geany-repo and asked for inclusion of one or both of them.

>> s possible to build Geany on Mac, see the geany/geany_OSX repo, but
> yeah the process is Linux centric, thats where the contributors are.

If it is just for a Excumberant-Tag-Parser - that i would try on a Mac.

> There has been discussion about adding the capability for Geany to
> talk to LSPs, and there was an initial attempt, but that showed the
> the size of the changes, so nobody has offered to do it.
LSP-support could help for the symbol-outline, though 80-percent of what is
possible with LSP - i don’t want plus other consequences/risks see below.

>> Writing a cmd-line tool that populates the symbol-view with struct-infos,
>> procedures and Enums to get a sorted overview would take me an afternoon
>> using the compiler-tools that are already part of my setup. I can also
>> provide CTag-compatible tags - but right now i need to smuggle them into a
>> geany-project and they only provide completion-support - they don’t show up
>> in the symbol-view.

With the osx-geany comes a plugin, that allows to import tags. And that fails
cos' of the missing Nim-support. But i used a external tool to generate the
tags and then put them where the plug-in expected them to be. I think after i
converted via `geany -g ` from CTags to Geany-tags. Thats what ‚smuggeling-in‘
means.

> I am not sure what you mean by "smuggle", you can have tag files
> loaded automatically or Tools->Load Tags File if you don't want it
> automatic.
>
> This is the definition of an LSP, but "somebody" has to add the
> capability to Geany, as noted above.
ah yes and no - LSP is much more than triggering a script/binary to deliver
some structured list-of-smth. The way i see it after reading your discussion is
that the „big"-solution (LSP and overhaul of the TagMgmt-system ) brings
considerable risks with it. Eg. the Nim-LSP-support for VS-Code spawns a
process for every document and doing so drives the resource-usage up - and in
Nims case might even overload the system. But i’m asking for a very limited
„small“-solution. A little defined path to update the symbol-outline - without
LSP - by using a tool of my choice. I mean C-Tag and Exuberant-Tags were
thought to be shell-system-tools - but geany comes with its own version of it
baked in ? and sadly offers no alternative to that. Or is it possible to use
the CTags-binary  from my system somehow ?

>  The LSP could of course be used
> with other editor/IDEs until its added to geany, and could use the
> actual Nim parser internals, a good Nim community project??
well, nim-language-server and nim-suggest are part of the language.

Anyhow, even without the tag-support Geany feels much more alike TextMate-1 and
provides almost everything i expect from a decent editor.

Greets Amdreas,