Hi!
Let me tell you what are we doing in order to upgrade the XOs at this
latitudes...
Currently, we are working at one school with 135 XOs and one school server.

Each XO has a script written in bash which is called by crontab a few times
a day.
This sript (the "actualizator", as we named it) checks if the XO is
connected to the school server. If it  is connected, it downloads a list of
the updates avaiable in the server (using wget). Checks which upgrades
havenĀ“t been installed and downloads them. The upgrade is a *.tar.gz which
contains a sript called "install" which is called by the actualizator after
"untaring?" the *.tar.gz and the files used for the upgrade (they could be
sripts, rpm or whatever). The install script executes commands in order to
install those files. When it finishes, the upgrade version is refreshed and
continues with the next one if any. The upgrade version is the date in
format YYYMMDD, so newer updates have a higher version number.
The XO also uploads its mac address and version number to the server so we
can check how many XOs have been updated.

We are fixing some bugs yet, but it seems to be working fine.