On 8/22/07, Jameson Chema Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm thinking about syntax coloring. In cases like this, it is more important
> to be able to see *whether* something is colored than to see what color it
> is. Even with no backlight, the diagonal banding would give you that
> information; the smoothing, by reducing that banding, would be getting in
> the way.

There's no display smoothing without the backlight.  The smoothing is
only done when color is being shown (thus the backlight is on).

It might be better to use 'reversed text' and/or slightly-tinted
backgrounds for highlighting.  These should expand the number of
different style variants which we can distinguish without needing to
parse small differences in greylevel.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )