IMO LivelyKernel is unacceptably slow even on Safari on faster
hardware than what XO has.

However other web app toolkits are not as heavy weight --or slow-- as
Lively Kernel.

For example,  I and a colleague of mine have been working on a
javascript GUI app development toolkit that uses standard XTHML
div-based rendering for most things, but uses SVG when SVG is clearly
the right answer.

Using such a hybrid approach, one can achieve much better performance:
For example, http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/madeline/webservice.php
is a demonstration web service built using our toolkit.

A question to ask might be, when will the XO get updated to use FF3's
new rendering engine?  The new engine is supposed to be faster,
although I have not found that to really be the case on our machines.

- Ed