Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008, at 23:18 , Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
>> Tom Hannen wrote:
>>> I disagree with the idea of censoring games based on violence.  I
>>> think that a warning at the top of any page should be sufficient.
>> While I agree with your your anti-censure POV, I think
>> the whole thread is moot as it's based on the assumption
>> of Doom II being a *violent* game.
>
> You are not honestly suggesting that running around with a hand gun
> and shooting and blood splashing and screaming is not violent? Even
> the authors call one of their settings "ultra-violence".

Yeah, I remember the "ultra violence" slogan... lol!

These days we're used to a greater level of reality.
Old games, with their naive graphics and sound effects,
really fail to trigger much strong emotions.

For similar reasons, the future depicted in the original
Star Trek TV series just makes us smile now, and the
old Nosferatu horror movie is even ridiculous to see.

Look, I've been playing "violent" games on the C64 too,
such as this one:

  http://user.tninet.se/~lrv840n/platform/rygar2.gif

Can you imagine that Rygar was considered so violent in
1987 that in some countries they tried to ban it from
shops?

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/