I need to set some environmental variables (e.g., http_proxy)
because I have a wired connection which goes through a proxy.

It used to be that issuing 'su' put me into root, but kept the
environmental variables set by /etc/bashrc for user 'olpc'.  With
698, 'su' gives me environmental variables *without* my
customizations.  [The (alt-ctl-F1) text console correctly gives me
the customizations set by /etc/profile.]

When I issue 'su -l', that gives me the customizations set by
/etc/profile.

How come a plain 'su' now sets up its own environmental variables,
_bypassing_ both /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile, when previously it
would pick up the environmental variables of the user it was issued
from ?

mikus