On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM, James Simmons
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Morgan,
>
>  I am one of those people developing activities that make use of
>  collaboration.  I'm pleased to see that someone has been charged to make
>  that easier, especially through better documentation.  My Activities are
>  Read Etexts and View Slides.  Both make use of code adapted from the
>  Read activity, although only Read Etexts has sharing implemented in a
>  released package.  It does seem to work.  View Slides has sharing code
>  in git, but not released as that code does NOT work at this time.

If you get stuck with View Slides, I'll be happy to take a look.

>  One thing I hope you'll address is the question of setting up a sharing
>  test environment as simply as possible.  I have been using Xubuntu with
>  Sugar RPMs on one machine and Sugar-jhbuild on openSUSE 10.2 on
>  another.  Both use the Collabora server, and I have a G1G1 laptop
>  pointing to that server as well.  The thing is, I don't know if I have
>  Collabora's blessing to use their server for my testing, and even if I
>  did, it is frequently out of service.  Ideally I could set up my own
>  server.  I do know that just having ejabberd installed from RPMs is not
>  enough.  (I tried that and it didn't work).  So what is the simplest way
>  for me to have my own sharing environment?

As Tomeu pointed out you can use salut and it is the fall-back for
when you cannot connect to a Jabber server.

If you want to run your own server, I have posted instructions on the
wiki on installing ejabberd with the required patches and
configuration at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Installing_ejabberd

(The [[Jabber]] page links to [[Run your own jabber server]] which in
turn links to [[Installing ejabberd]] so it should be discoverable if
you know it's there...)

>  Another point I hope you'll address is the code in the Read activity for
>  sharing.  It is full of FIXME comments, yet the Wiki recommends its use
>  as sample code.  I'm stuck adapting that code for my own Activities as
>  they are variations on the Read activity.

The Read activity is definitely on my list as the sharing was found to
have reliability issues in recent testing.

Regards
Morgan