On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Wes Kussmaul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
>  > I recently wrote to Nicholas about Illinois HB5000, the Children's
>  > Low-Cost Laptop Act, and received no reply.
>
>  Yeah, I know the feeling. I recently wrote to the CEO of General Motors
> about customizing my minivan for my work and
>  didn't hear back either...

What's this hostility about? Does it accomplish something?

>  OLPC now has a big installed base and that means its leadership has lots of
> pressing responsibilities. It's leaving the
>  collegial club behind as it undergoes the wrenching transformation into a
> global enterprise.

Illinois wants to spend $50 million in a pilot project to put laptops
into 300 schools, a project bigger than all of Give One Get One, and I
can't the time of day from management. The official line is that
Illinois doesn't count. Only getting XOs to poor kids in developing
countries counts.

>  Your Earth Treasury has worthwhile and compatible goals - as do some
> hundreds of other OLPC related organizations. If in
>  that environment you manage to get some of Nicholas's time and attention you
> should consider yourself lucky.

Not me and my piddly little NGO, the State of Illinois! They are the
ones being stiffed. Barack Obama has proposed increasing US foreign
aid to $50 billion annually, including a $2 billion Global Education
Fund. What is he going to hear from his political friends in Illinois
about OLPC?

>  Wes Kussmaul

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/