It now connects to my home AP without manual intervention, and quickly too.
Yea!  Thanks.

I haven't figured out how to setup a mesh network.  I've got two circles on
the frame.  One is a copy of the icon for my AP in the neighborhood view.
The other one is gray and the text says "Create new wireless network".
Poking it doesn't do anything that I can see.

I had a power failure this afternoon.  That gave me a pop-up asking for the
password to my AP.  The AP was dead.  It already knows the password to my AP.

At one point, I had 4 strange AP icons on the neighborhood view, all the same
color, all said olpc-mesh.  They may have been created while I was poking
around after my AP got killed by the power failure.  After a while, they went
away when I wasn't watching.

Turning off the Automatic Power Managment  check-box in the control panel
doesn't work.
I can uncheck the box, but after poking OK and opening it up
again, it comes back checked again.

After a while, an idle system goes into a funny power saving mode.  The radio
LED is off and pings are ignored.  If I poke a key, the CPU active LED (right
of the battery LED) blinks
but the system doesn't wake up.  Poking the power button gets me back to the
system.  An occasional ping (75 seconds) avoids this.

If the display has been dimmed, poking the LED-brighter key (F10) turns the
display on, but it comes up all white.  Poking a letter key or moving the
cursor
shows the picture.