Aleksey, List,

Hope everyone is relaxing, enjoying and not reading the list... if you
are... might be the right time to wake up from the excesses of
Christmas celebrations :-)

Looks like everyone forgot about these patches of mine. I've now
posted them as http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1636 -- the patches
haven't changed but the "r?" might draw some attention.

My old post below is still very relevant, and my notes after it, plus
a request for help.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I have 4 patches that fix this up so that we DTRT - attached in
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9657
>
>    * 0001-Removable-disk-Save-metadata-and-preview-dlo-9657.patch
>    * 0002-Removable-disk-read-json-formatted-.metadata-and-.pr.patch
>    * 0003-Removable-disk-Handle-renames-dlo-9657.patch
>    * 0004-Removable-disk-delete-preview-and-metadata-dlo-9657.patch
>
> With this
>
>    * We save the files with their correct metadata
>    * Read the metadata back, display it, copy it correctly into the
> DS, and search descriptions/tags if the user runs a search
>    * Renames and removes are handled correctly on-disk
> (metadata/preview files are renamed or removed

The above approach stems from long discussion in this same thread. If
your email proggy doesn't do threads nicely, see
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/thread.html#20729

These patches fix the problem in the core code. There are two UI
glitches, and I am needing help in sorting them out, 'cause I don't
understand the OO-ish approach used in Journal UI. See below:

> The results are not perfect, as we have UI glitches -- on delete the
> file listing doesn't remove the file 'collapsedentry'; on rename, the
> new name is shown until you touch the scrollbar, there it reverts to
> the old name.
>
> To fix those UI glitches we need to issue a message to the
> InplaceResultSet instance somehow... except that we don't have a
> handle to it. I also attempted to do something like
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/b0113bf67c31dbeaa08cf0f1710c1be8d02a9b25
> which sure looks right, but didn't work for me.
>
> Triggering these actions from the UI widget objects makes it all
> overly confusing to a newcomer like me. The ocassional dbus message
> makes it even more entertaining.
>
> In any case, the patches bring the backend behaviour to correctness.
> With some help we can also address the UI glitches (or punt and deal
> with them with later).

and the patches will be soon followed by other patches that allow 0.84
read from 0.82-written USB disks, so that teachers that have saved
their files on a USB stick before upgrade can use them.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 mar...@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions