> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Tabitha Roder <tabi...@tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a build they would recommend? I believe the laptops
> > are locked, so it will have to be signed.
> At this point I would recommend the 10.1.2 development builds -- but
> as James points out, they are not signed.

But it's so easy to unlock locked laptops, and then you can run any
build you like.  OLPC has for more than a year recommended that
everyone run unlocked laptops unless their particular country has a
need to lock them.  Unlocked OLPC laptops are just like ordinary
laptops that you might buy in a store; no more and no less secure.
There is no reason to lock a laptop, and no reason to keep laptops
locked, unless you have a major theft issue in your country's laptop
program.

I think the whole reason many early laptops went out locked was that
the local projects thought that somehow a locked laptop was "more
secure" or "better" than an unlocked one.  Field experience has proven
the opposite.  Unlocked laptops give the project more control, easier
support, and more options.

        John