Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help.  I'm just telling what I found.

Was running os883 on an XO-1 (which had a developer key). I applied some modifications (part of which was a yum upgrade of the kernel and a change to /boot/olpc.fth (to set the CPU speed)). When I rebooted, I found that NONE of the changes to /boot were effective - the system still used the previous kernel and disregarded the changed olpc.fth.

On investigating, I saw that I had accidentally replaced the develop.sig on the XO-1 with the file from another system. When I put in the correct develop.sig, that XO-1 now booted into the desired kernel (and had processed the desired /boot/olpc.fth change).

mikus