On 01/23/2012 02:56 AM, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:

The thing is that XO-1.5 has about twice the XO-1 processing power and is quite
usable. So getting another 50%+ out of the XO-1 (albeit with risks) may keep it
in stride with the new software versions a bit longer.
Of course I do realize that this should have nothing to do with OLPC, thus the
vague questions ;)

It won't work that way. Although in some cases you can increase the clock frequency a bit and have it still function the system is designed to run at the specified frequency. We didn't use parts that were rated for 1Ghz and then dial it down. We used the highest speed parts that we could get in our cost range and designed for that operating frequency.

But may be all this is irrelevant now as pushing  the XO-1 to 600MHz (extrapolating from
"these guys") results in kernel panics and/or errors.
If this is because of the protection mechanisms I would appreciate if someone
lets me know off-list (I promise not to tell) of a possible way around it.

Its not a protection mechanism. Its because one of the system buses is corrupted because its being forced to operate above its design rating.

A thermal shutdown will be a hang since the clock to the CPU is stopped. The thermal shutdown is not configurable and you can't bypass it.

--
Richard A. Smith  <rich...@laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child