On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Daniel Drake <d...@laptop.org> wrote:
> Some work needs to be done before that is possible, but we also need a
> naming scheme. I think the key considerations for this are:

We also need

 - a stream id - perhaps 2-digit year for the development builds
 - a "custom stream" identifier for non OLPC builds

I like the idea floated that we could use the same ints as we use for
OFW files -- but I am not too attached to it.

For development and non-OLPC builds, something like:

o112001.zd4 (7 chars)

  o - OS development build from OLPC
  2 - XO-1 following OFW numbering
  12 - 12.x.y stream
  001 - build nr

ni312001.zd4 (8 chars)

  ni - Nicaragua build - 2 chars for country code :-)
  3 - XO-1.5
  12 - 12.x.y stream
  001 - build nr

For official signed OLPC builds, we could switch to this scheme, or
stick to the existing one.

This scheme forces a bit of structure in the build name, even for
custom builds. We actually need this, because when builds get to
manufacturing, some custom builds have a "local" name (such as the
Peru build you mentioned) and others just say "os7.zd4".

Sometimes there are a few "os7.zd4" dancing around, and we've worried
about confusion at manufacturing.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 mar...@laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC