On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:31:44AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM, James Cameron <qu...@laptop.org> wrote:
> > Jerry could also write a startup script that does these actions
>
> All the startup (or shutdown) scripts I can think of that could return
> the filesystem to a pristine condition... they also undo
> customizations you may be wanting to retain.

I disagree.  The mentioned side effects of cloning can be scripted in a
way that do not damage what is to be kept.

> - nuke everything from /home/olpc except activities, we may be
> removing customizations (custom gnome background, or desktop icons,
> for example)
>
> - reset /etc to the pristine etc -- may be removing desired customizations
>
> - reset / to the pristine OS filesystem -- may be removing desired
> customizations
>
> Booting into Sugar or GNOME for the first time has makes some changes
> to the filesystem -- these change with each OS version, and they
> change with additional sw, so they are hard to track. Installing
> additional software, configuring things also makes changes to the
> filesystem -- some intended, some "side-effects" you'd want to undo.
>
> It's impossible to write a magic script that guesses what you want to
> keep, and what you want to discard.

I think it is possible, but high cost due to maintenance, which is why
we aren't doing it.  The cost of testing is also increased.

But that high cost may be reasonable for deployments like Australia that
are many individual schools or classrooms without central control, if
the result is layperson driven classroom customisation before term
begins.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/