> On an XO-1
> The reading is "-4610.42" (!?)

Its a 2's compliment number. Negative values are normal.  But you need
more than 1 reading.  A single reading of the ACR doesn't tell you
anything unless you reset it to a known value before you start.

> Reboot to Sugar and got "very little battery"
> At no point the charge light came up (green, red, or orange/yellow)
>
> run 0 bg-acr! and then bat-recover. Indeed the battery looked drained (6.9
> Volts) and charged but took took just few mAh before it jumped to 7.4 volts.
> Still no battery LED

We are running debugging commands outside the EC.  All reporting
normal battery status reporting is invalid until you run a discharge
and recharge cycle
Also bat-recover is useless for this problem.

> I may be way off, but judging from the erratic readings and LED behavior I
> would think that might be an issue with the battery EC. Anyway to "talk" to
> it and make it behave?

Yes you are way off because you don't understand what you are doing.
I'll be more specific in my instructions.

> Though if interested I think would be much more efficient if you check the
> battery in person ;)

I'm mildly curious but what if you send it to me and then the problem
does not duplicate?  I'd rather sort it out in the known problem case.

> If not, let me have clear what you want exactly since is not clear to me from
> your latter mail if after the first run, AC is needed and the XO should start
> with AC only or battery only of both together, or doesn't matter.

Here's a specific procedure.  We are going to zero the ACR register so
that you don't have to keep track of the prior reading.

- Start with the XO in a clean working condition. ie remove all power
and battery.
- Boot the XO. Sugar or OFW either will work.
- Run on battery and allow the battery to discharge until is says its < 90%
- Connect power and let the battery charge to full.
- Reboot XO and stop at OFW.
- ok batman-start
- ok 0 bg-acr!
- Verify the ACR is really zero.
- ok bg-acr@ .bg-acr
(Should print zero)
- Remove battery
(Wait 24 hours, you can do whatever you want with the XO)
- Boot XO and stop at OFW
- ok batman-start
- ok bg-acr@ .bg-acr

That number will be the amount of capacity lost.

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child