On 08/30/2012 11:53 AM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
what version of Open Firmware are you using that you are
replying to the Q3C09 thread?

q3c09

The reason I posted to this thread is -- I did NOT have the described kernel panic when booting os21 on the XO-1.5 with q3c08

What make and model of USB Ethernet adapter are you using?

SMC2208

Do you think this matters? I have been using these USB ethernet adapters for four years now, and have never had any problems using them (on XO-1 and XO-1.5) with any build. [In the past I sometimes have had firmware failures (particularly with q2b firmware - which sometimes would "hang" in the firmware when I was trying to boot (unless the USB ethernet adapter was unplugged from the XO before the XO was booted).]

I could not hang a XO-1.5 with os21 & Q3C07 (included in the build)

I flash new firmware as it becomes available, independent of the build.

[Note that os21 boots fine on the XO-1.5 with q3c09 if I press the front panel 'check' button -- it only gets the panic message if do NOT press any front panel buttons.]

Does your network provide network-based boot services ?

No. When I am using an ethernet-based LAN, that network provides __NO__ services - not even DHCP.

But I think this question is irrelevant - the described panic occurred while trying to load kernel software -- long before the build would get around to attempting any initialization of network services.

mikus