On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:28:12 +1000,
  James Cameron <qu...@laptop.org> wrote:
G'day Bruno,

Thank you for your problem report.  It is interesting.

I updated the trac ticket with most of what was requested.

The install method hasn't changed.  Our development builds are
installed using fs-update rather than the zsp file and holding four
game keys down.  Once 13.1.0 is released, the method will be the same
as before.

When going to 12.1.0 I held down the four buttons above the power switch while booting. When going to 13.1.0 I used fs-update. I was going by the instructions on the wiki for doing the updates.

When you upgraded your XO-1.75 to 12.1.0 an old version of Open
Firmware might have been present.  After the upgrade, the next time
you had two sources of power, Open Firmware would have been upgraded.

I also didn't have two sources of power when I did the fs-update to 13.1.0,
so maybe that's why the open firmware is still at Q4D17.

a.  what version of Open Firmware was on the XO-1.75 before the
upgrade to 12.1.0?  I cannot guess what this was.

I don't know, but probably whatever you were shipping with the devices a few weeks ago. Mine shipped shortly before 12.1.0 was released.

b.  what version of Open Firmware was on the XO-1.75 at the time of
the problem in ticket #12123?  I expect it was Q4D17 as this was
12.1.0 build 21 contained.

I can reproduce the issue on Q4D17.

c.  what version of Open Firmware is on the XO-1.75 after the upgrade
to 13.1.0?  I expect it will be Q4D21.

It is still Q4D17.

d.  if you downgrade to the version of Open Firmware you had before
the upgrade to 12.1.0, and then try the fs-update for 13.1.0, does the
problem in ticket #12123 occur?

I can't refer to u: successfully if I don't plug in the drive after booting.

e.  on Q4D21 please attach the USB drive, turn on the laptop,
get to the ok prompt, type p2, and tell me what is printed.

I haven't got Q4D21 yet, so I can't do these tests just yet.

f.  on Q4D21 please detach the USB drive, turn on the laptop, get to
the ok prompt, type p2, and tell me what is printed.

g.  on Q4D21 please attach the USB drive, turn on the laptop, get to
the ok prompt, type

There were differences for the p2 command under Q4D17 depending on whether the drive was plugged in before or after boot.

2. the drive must spin up and become ready (if it is a mechanical
drive this can take some seconds),

In my case it's a flash drive. (I reformtted it to ext4.)