On 16/12/12 17:20, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

I believe the symptom has to do with the presence of multiple windows by
an Activity.  Sugar starts the initial window - if in time certain
things do not happen in that window, the "failed to start" message
eventually gets displayed.  But if in the meantime the Activity is
proceeding in ANOTHER window (e.g., screen) , the eventual message in
the initial window is misleading.

Then why do we see this error seemingly randomly? If the activity isn't doing things on it's initial window, then wouldn't it always trigger this bug?

Does the shell keep track of the launched process? There are ways for an activity to die immediately on startup but leave the starting screen pulsing for ages followed by a failed to start screen. This would be improved if the shell noticed the launched process was died immediately.

Would it help with debugging if it dropped information about what is going on when the failed to start warning is triggered? Something like "launched ... got a & b, but never saw c after n seconds, child process ... still running, backtrace of that process follows".

Currently all we can tell you is "... triggered the failed to start but otherwise worked normally" which is apparently insufficient to chase all the bugs out of the system.