Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> R54 indeed seems insane with 120R,

Sebastien has warned on #milkymist that the rise and fall times
of the optocoupler have been a source of trouble in the past,
and only switching to this part, along with tweaking of resistor
values, has solved the issue.

Looking at figure 6 of [1], this does indeed seem to be a weak
spot of the optocoupler. The test circuit appears to be the one
in figure 24, although the voltages don't seem to match. The
footnote promised by the asterisk on Cl (Cload) does not exist.

I'm surprised by two things here: 1) why does Rload have such an
impact on the fall time ? I could understand the rise time,
because Rload has to load the parasitic capacitance. 2) if the
main factor is indeed parasitic capacitance, then the numbers
seem way off.

E.g., if I consider this a low-pass filter, then I'd get a
cut-off frequency of about 1 MHz (MIDI runs at 31.25 kbit/s,
so this should be plenty) with R = 3.3 kOhm and a generous
C = 50 pF.

- Werner