Hi,

Summarizing some IRC discussions and taking them to the list - and adding some info.

M^3 - Milkymist Modular Mainboard
=================================
The idea is to create a generic and minimalist board that can be reused in several different products.

Here are the rough specs:
* Artix-7 100 FPGA
* 4x DDR3 chips, 16-bit each. Memory chips are to be connected individually to the FPGA so that painful read/write leveling is unnecessary and the page hit rate (performance) is potentially increased. This detail is important as it precludes prototyping on a KC705 board which uses a SODIMM.
* "SPI" flash (4-bit fast version)
* Connectors to be placed on one side (for rack-mounting):
** Power
** 4x HDMI. The beautiful thing about the direct FPGA connection is that they can switch between video input and output. Also, no DAC. ** Ethernet (optional, the whole subsystem can be DNPd depending on product).
* Connectors to be placed at the front:
** 4x USB. Can be DNPd depending on product and rate of bugfixing.
** The USB signals should also break out on a HE10 connector so that the ports can be placed on the front panel of a rack, with a cable and adapter.
* Internal connectors (all direct FPGA connection):
** LVDS LCD panel. There is no standard pinout, try to find the most common one (if it exists) or just make sure it can be adapted without too much soldering for prototyping.
** Generic I/O, also exposing the XADC.
This connector can be used for front panels, Mirteo sensor, audio, etc.
** SATA (unsupported/only for #1 below). It's difficult to have on generic I/O because of the high speed of the signal.

Uses
====
(1) For FPGA developers and hackers(*), the bare M^3 is like the M1, but perhaps cheaper, with a bigger and slightly faster FPGA, much more memory bandwidth and no "fancy" peripherals. And supported by the best open source SoC ever. (2) 3-channel HD video mixer. Nothing very fancy - just 1 fader/channel - but it's easy to do once the basic foundations are there, and there is definitely a demand for this. Of course, now that we start acquiring video directly, I expect a lot of time will be spent on pesky compatibility issues (this is one of the reasons why we have CVBS on the M1, which has less variations, and the ADV7181 cleans many things up already). (3) M1-style device with better video quality and resolution, by porting some FN software features to the new (milkymist-ng) architecture or -better- with a variant of the Mirteo software (the latter being potentially usable on the M1 too).
(4) Rack-mount version(s) of #2 and/or #3.
(5) The "Mirteo", a more experimental device (compared to #1) with a user interface like the Reactable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-RhyopUmc) and slightly different patch system. More on that later.

I will personally pursue actively #2 and #5.

Milkymist One
The basic milkymist-ng architecture works today on the M1 (which is what I prototype it on), including the DDR SDRAM which is the most technically difficult part. Other important features missing at the moment (like graphics acceleration) are independent of the FPGA. M1-specific cores written in Verilog can be interfaced with Migen without much rewriting or hassle, as long as they do not use DMA on the FML bus (i.e. only the video input core will pose a problem).
Then, it could run basically the same software as #3.
This means that with some effort the M1 can still be supported with regular gateware/software updates and keep some compatibility with Mirteo and other new devices. It would be nice, however, that someone else does those relatively simple porting tasks as I will mostly focus on the new devices, which are hard enough already.

Thoughts?

Sébastien

(*) Of course, the M1 experience has made me aware of how much optimism there is in this statement.