This exact problem came up in a different context today.

This is only a side-effect of us having crummy error messages.  :-(

What is happening is that OMPI is not finding its components. Specifically, it's looking for the SDS components in this case, not finding them, and then barfing.

Open MPI, by default, looks in $prefix/lib/openmpi and $HOME/.openmpi/components for its components. This is set with the "mca_component_path" MCA parameter -- you can certainly change it to be whatever you need. For example:

-----
[15:26] odin:~/svn/ompi/ompi/runtime % ompi_info --param mca all
[snipped]
                 MCA mca: parameter "mca_component_path" (current value:

"/u/jsquyres/bogus/lib/openmpi:/u/jsquyres/.openmpi components")
Path where to look for Open MPI and ORTE components
[snipped]
-----

So you should be able to:

        orteun --mca mca_component_path /path/where/you/have/them ...

Disclaimer: this *used* to work, but I haven't tried it in a long time. There's no reason that it shouldn't work, but we all know how bit rot happens...

However, be aware that the wrapper compilers are still hard-coded to look in $prefix/lib to link the OMPI/ORTE/OPAL compilers. You can override that stuff with environment variables if you need to, but it's not desirable.

Sidenote: in LAM, we had a single, top-level environment variable named LAMHOME that would override all this stuff. However, we found that it *really* confused most users -- there were very, very few instances where there was a genuine need for it. So we didn't add a single, top-level control like that in OMPI.