Luke,

I don't have access to exactly the same OS like you describe, but I was able to run your example (using the same compilation flags as you) on the following environments:
- 32 bits Intel Redhat Nahant 2
- 32 bits Debian testing/unstable
- 64 bits MAC OS X

I even run the Netpipe benchmark with success on the same systems. However, there was an issue with our internal list management that was showing up [mostly] for the shared memory device. It's fixed now on SVN (from revision 8749).

Please update you Open MPI copy (the changes are not yet in the nightly build so you have to checkout via SVN) and try again.

  Thanks,
    george.