Actually, I was a part of that thread - see my comments beginning with
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2006/03/0797.php.

Perhaps I communicated poorly here. The issue in the prior thread was that
few systems nowadays don't offer at least some level of IPv6 compatibility,
even if nothing more than mapping IPv6 addresses to IPv4. My point in that
thread was that some types of systems (e.g., embedded systems) don't - they
have no ability to interact with IPv6 at all - but that these are not
commonly found in the high performance world (the focus of OpenMPI).

Although I expect hetero operations to be fairly common, I don't expect to
see too many high performance systems that have no library support at all
for IPv6.

Hope that clarifies my comment. The intent is to fully support both types of
systems anyway, so I'll concede that the point (i.e., how unusual the
situation might be) is somewhat moot.