On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:07:42AM -0700, Ralph H Castain wrote:

> The concern is that we want to leave open the possibility of putting this
> revision into 1.2 since it will have a major performance impact on both
> startup time and the max cluster size we can support. The IP6 code is
> scheduled for 1.3 and we don't know what the performance impact will look
> like - hence the hesitation.

I agree not to include IPv6 in the v1.2 (you might remove the configure
patch from the v1.2 line, or leave it there without really using it)

If one considers the current v1.2 branch as stable, the trunk could
be used for the new v1.3 line.

I therefore suggest to move the OPAL changes into the trunk,
also the small hostfile code (lex code for IPv6) and the btl code.

When you've completed all changes to the OOB, we can have a look
and do the necessary IPv6 changes afterwards. Though I feel the oob/tcp
is the hardest part of all (it got the most modifications), I hope
that it's possible to copy a lot of the existing patch. Perhaps
your rewrite simplifies something.

I'm currently not developing new code, so at least the IPv6 codebase
isn't a moving target.

Just let me know if I could help.

--
Cluster and Metacomputing Working Group
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Germany