On Nov 7, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

Gleb --

I finally talked with Galen and Don about this issue in depth.  Our
understanding is that the "request may get freed before recursion
unwinds" issue is *only* a problem within the context of a single MPI
call (e.g., MPI_SEND).  Is that right?

I wonder how this happens ?

Specifically, if in an MPI_SEND, the BTL ends up buffering the message
and setting early completion, but then recurses into opal_progress()
and ends up sending the message and freeing the request during the
recursion, then when the recursion unwinds, the original caller will
have a stale request.

The same callback is called in both cases. In the case that you described, the callback is called just a little bit deeper into the recursion, when in the "normal case" it will get called from the first level of the recursion. Or maybe I miss something here ...

  george.

This is *only* a problem for requests that are involved from the
current top-level MPI call.  Request from prior calls to MPI functions
(e.g., a request from a prior call to MPI_ISEND) are ok because a)
we've already done the Right Things to ensure the safety of that
request, and b) that request is not on the recursive stack anywhere to
become stale as the recursion unwinds.

Right?

If so, Galen proposes the following:

1. in conjunction with the NOT_ON_WIRE proposal...

2. make a new PML request flag DONT_FREE_ME (or some better name :-) ).

3. blocking MPI_SEND/MPI_RECV calls will set this flag (or, more
specifically, the top of the PML calls for blocking send/receive)
right when the request is allocated (i.e., before calling btl_send()).

4. when the PML is called for completion on this request, it will do
all the stuff that it needs to effect completion -- but then it will
see the DONT_FREE_ME flag and not actually free the request.
Obviously, if DONT_FREE_ME is *not* set, then the PML does what it
does today: it frees the request.

5. the top-level PML call will eventually complete:
5a. For blocking PML calls (e.g., corresponding to MPI_SEND and
MPI_RECV), the request can be unconditionally freed.
5b. For non-blocking PML calls (e.g., corresponding to MPI_ISEND),
only free the request if it was completed.

Note that with this scheme, it becomes irrelevant as to whether the
PML completion call is invoked on the first descent into the BTL or
recursively via opal_progress.

How does that sound?

If that all works, it might be beneficial to put this back to the 1.2
branch because there are definitely apps that would benefit from it.