Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. So, now I am wondering how rank information
regarding processes in MPI_COMM_WORLD are assigned. Is there a table that
stores unique integer values for processess or is rank assignment done in
some other manner?

Thanks,

Sajjad Tabib

Tim Prins <tpr...@cs.indiana.edu>
Sent by: devel-boun...@open-mpi.org
11/30/07 07:22 AM
Please respond to
Open MPI Developers <de...@open-mpi.org>

Open MPI Developers <de...@open-mpi.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [OMPI devel] Using ompi_proc_t's proc_name.vpid as Universal rank

Hi Sajjad,

The vpid is not unique. If you do a comm_spawn then the newly launched
processes will have a new jobid, and their vpids will start at 0. So the
whole process name is unique.

However, there is talk now of being able to join 2 jobs that were
started completely independently. This may lead to the point where a
process name is no longer unique, however this work appears to be a ways
out and as far as I know no decisions have been made on it yet.

Hope this helps,

Tim